Friday, March 19, 2010

Finding New Fun with Solids

With my daughter, I thought everything I fed her had to be packaged with something saying the word "baby" on it to know that it was safe. With the boys I am much more free-wheeling and having a lot of fun. My pediatrician gave the green light for foods and sanctioned everything except for honey and encouraging liberal uses of solids to assist with gaining weight.

Feeding twins is so fun! While waiting for one to work on his spoonful, I find the other quite ready to take a nibble, so feedings are fast and furious. The menu started simple with bananas, avocado and sweet potato. Now I puree all the foods we eat and they had some corned beef and cabbage for St. Patty's Day and last night ate spaghetti squash with marinara sauce. I am freezing little ice-cube batches of all the purees I make and just love knowing I am feeding them delicious foods that I make and not just relying on the little jars this go round.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I'm expecting identical twin boys, so love to read your updates - I can get a preview on what's to come! I also have a toddler - a 2.5yr old boy (so cute but such a little devil).
    Glad your boys are taking to the solids so well. This must take some of the pressure off you with the breastfeeding as well. I also made my son's babyfood and it was a lot of fun to try new foods. He pretty much loved everything (and still does).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed solids a ton with my twins, too! The other great thing is that if one doesn't like something on the menu, the other one likely will, so at least someone is eating some part of the meal (and there is less waste because you can just trade foods to finish things up!).

    I'm also a huge fan of feeding the babies table foods (either pureed or whole -- we did "baby led weaning" where we gave them chunks of soft food to suck/chew on). I think its often cheaper and tastier than the jars!

    ReplyDelete