Friday, December 11, 2009

Frustrated with Cloth Diapering

I have had trouble getting started cloth diapering these boys. I planned to go easy the first 3 months and use disposables as needed. Because of their small size, none of my "newborn" diapers have worked. I am starting out with the Bummies Whisper Wraps and prefolds which I thought I would do in the early days until I can use Bum Genius and Fuzzi Bunz. However everytime I am using them they leak. The boys have made it apparent that they do not like to be damp, and so I am not wanting to risk naps for leaky cloth diapers. I suppose it is just an adjustment they and I are going through, but I seem to remember it being a bit simpler with Gwen, though I probably was not really up and running with cloth diapers until about 5 months with her. These little peanuts are dwarfed by the size of their diapers! All good things in time I suppose...

5 comments:

  1. Although I know quite a few little boys here who did fine with prefold and Bummis, they are all on the bigger side. Ivy was really little - only 6 pounds something at birth and I used Kissaluvs size 0 and Thirsties xs covers for the first couple of months with Ivy. I also had some xs Thirsties aios. We never had a single leak, unless we were using disposable (poo up the back). Would you like me to send you some of ours to try out? (We didn't move Ivy up to the BumGenius until she was out of Thirsties m.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a fabric store near you, you can cut up some fleece and lay it over the prefolds. It will help keep them drier. If you need help troubleshooting the leaks, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Michelle for keeping their tooshies feeling dry. Also, if you're sure that the fit is snug then the leaks are coming from lack of absorbancy - just toss a terry washcloth in there and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also used some kissaluvs 0's in the early days and loved them. But, with my twins, we really didn't start CDing until 2.5-3 months or so, when they were more than 8.5 pounds or so? I think? We mostly waited until our small Fuzzibunz fit and went from there.

    I have heard good things about fleece liners though for driness! If you figure out the leak thing maybe the liners will help as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw this and so sorry for your frustration. I used prefolds and Bummis on Aiden at 7 pounds (from birth) and just had to fold down the front of the prefold for extra "boy" protection. You may already know that trick but that has been key for us through year 2 on the prefolds.

    ReplyDelete