Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Lowest risk twin pregnancy"

It is nice to hear such words about a pregnancy bestowed by attending OB. Yet it does make me wonder how outside the norm my experience is with this pregnancy. In the first weeks of finding out I was having twins, I scanned all the recommended twin books I could find, most specifically Dr. Barbara Luke's Twin's Triplets & Quads and Dr. Gila Leiter's Everything You Need to Know to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy, both of which, despite having a reputation for being less pathologically based, instilled the belief in me that having a twin pregnancy is something that is intrinsically complicated and full of risk.

As I approach the final trimester, my thoughts are increasingly turning toward the labor & delivery process. Looking back at my blogs, I see how quickly I vanquished the idea of a "natural" birth when finding out I was having a twin pregnancy. Now I find my interest is piqued again in this direction. I am questioning some of the practices, like mandatory induction by 38 weeks--which my OB has informed me is a "hospital-wide policy." I do recall he offered to refer me to see a midwife, however what I have learned since is that most will not work with twins and birthing typically takes place on an OR bed. I have been to some natural birth blogs that show videos of home births with twins. But there is no way I would feel comfortable with that option. 

Still, my "low risk" status makes me curious to investigate some of the practices further. On the whole, I feel very fortunate that as of 27 weeks & change, I am going strong, feeling well, just passed my glucose screen and feeling regular movement. No bedrest, no high blood pressure, relatively stable hormones. My main complaints are midnight caffeine induced heartburn (which working nightshifts I have only myself to blame) and charley horses. It could be much, much worse. 

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that your twin pregnancy is progressing smoothly! (Mine did too....no bed rest, no "complications" that so many of the books warned of. Stay positive, you have every reason to remain so!

    Wishing you a safe and happy meeting with your twosome!

    (and I've added you to the Twinsights blog roll! Love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulaions on having a 'no problem' twin pregnancy! Rest assured there'll be problems during labor pains too. If you do pre-natal excercise and keep yourself fit you'll have a natural delivery.

    pregnancy after miscarriage

    ReplyDelete